Online physical education may seem like an odd concept for some parents and even educators! How does online physical education work? The truth is online physical education has found its way into many virtual schools around the world, even before the beginning of the recent pandemic! Interestingly enough, in combination with reliable technology, PE Coaches have found innovative ways to get kids moving over the years! In fact, a Health and Physical Education teacher at EdOptions Academy Virtual School talks about how physical education works in his virtual gym. One thing he mentions is essential for effective online Physical Education is allowing students to explore, attempt, and discover new forms of movement that they enjoy, as well as establishing physical activity as a positive experience. One other important element in physical education he mentions is showing all students the joy of movement and taking care of one’s body. He states, “Exercise is critical to good health, relaxation, and stress management—plus it’s just fun!”.To take things a step past “fun,” research has shown that there is a significant, positive, and directly proportional connection between school PE and academic performance! Children benefit from daily physical activity in a plethora of ways. It supports their achievement in subjects like Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts. Schools and Districts that prioritize movement during the school day are serving their students’ needs not just on a physical level but also on a social, psychological, emotional, and academic level as well. Therefore, considering physical education on our virtual landscape is something worth exploring for all educators and education institutions! This blog, with the research in mind, explores 20 tools that you can use in your virtual gyms for effective physical education!
20 Tools for Effective Online Physical Education
Check on the following programs and resources for active online physical education courtesy of We Are Teachers and Happiful! Here you will find effective programs, resources, apps, and lesson plans that can help you structure and plan physical education in your virtual gym this school year!
Just Dance - Have your students follow the moves on this YouTube-based dance challenge! Dancing is an age-old way to get people movin’. Before they know it, they’ll be getting the best cardio workout. Also, they will be able to enjoy some of their favorite musical artists!
Cosmic Kids Yoga - Here, you will find 10-20 minute guided yoga workouts for preschool to elementary school-aged kids. Kids will love bending and stretching in outer space, underwater, on the farm, and more!
The Body Coach - Try these FREE easy-to-follow, at-home workouts for everyone, including kids. These engaging 5-8 minute videos get you fit no matter your fitness level. Hosted by Joe Wicks revealed to his followers that he would be starting online PE lessons during the school closures! The videos will start on Monday and run through till Friday on his YouTube channel. “It’s called PE with Joe. It’s a workout specifically designed for kids because when the schools are closed, there is no PE.”
The Kids Coach - Fitness, workouts, and wellness all just for kids. This site allows you to choose an age category and gets your students’ movin’! Find over 100 sessions categorized by age group.
Coach Josh Kids Fitness - This fun workout allows preschoolers to practice balance and coordination while also practicing everything from colors to numbers to the ABC’s in Coach Josh’s fun workout show! (Also streaming now on Amazon Prime Video).
Moovlee - What a fun way to get moving! Moovlee is an animated monkey that leads 4-10 minutes of workout videos for kids ages 3-5. He focuses his workouts on meditation, yoga, and cardio. Get busy with this little monkey!
Kids’ HIIT Workout - Get moving along with your kids! HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is a workout that combines intense bursts of exercise and short active recovery periods. You’ll see things such as; marching, jumping jacks, and squats. No equipment, just energy, and your workout shoes. Let’s do it!
Kidz Bop Dance Along - This site invites you to dance to the beat of rated-G versions of popular songs like Thank U, Next, Señorita, and Old Town Road.
Simply Soccer: Soccer Drills You Can Do Indoors - Hone your soccer skills indoors! This seven-minute YouTube video shows you how to work on some soccer footwork and expertise from the comfort of your home.
Karate for Kids: Who wants to be a ninja? Join Abbey Manser on her YouTube channel to learn basic karate skills for kids.
BBC Teach Supermovers - Supermovers has loads of videos that combine education with exercise. They help older children develop confidence, teamwork, and leadership skills. A great way to continue your child’s learning while also having a PE lesson! There are options for KS1 and KS2 with easy to follow activities covering topics such as number bonds, times tables and division for Maths, and grammar, spelling and punctuation for English. They also have some Science and Language exercise videos and a Supermovers Champions section.
- Nike Training Club App - Expert Nike trainers designed this app featuring free 15-, 30-, and 45-minute workouts. It will be an excellent fit for the sport-playing middle or high schooler looking to keep themselves in shape at home.
- Sworkit Kids App - The Sworkit Kids app makes it easy to create and tailor workouts that fit your kid’s age, ability, and fitness level. Guided by the app through interval-style workouts, Kids can count on building strength and agility. It mixes targeted exercises with fun challenges, making exercise feel more like a challenging game!
- I Am Love: Kids’ Yogaverse - Your students can gain flexibility and strength by striking each of the thirteen yoga poses and breathing techniques featured in this yoga-focused app. It also sets the mood with soothing music.
- Dance with Debbie Allen - Actress and dancer Debbie Allen will be offering free classes on Instagram Live throughout the COVID-19 crisis! Follow her on Instagram @therealdebbieallen to find out when the next live video will be available!
- Go Noodle Kids - Go Noodle is used by teachers everywhere to get their kids exercising. Interactive videos combine movement with mindfulness, helping kids center themselves for learning. With its sort of modules, GoNoodle is ideal for kids that need a quick energy boost through exercise.
- Gopher Sport Lesson Plan - Gopher, the go-to source for P.E. teachers, has gathered useful blog articles and two at-home lesson plan options for any parents looking to add education to their home learning curriculum: SPARKhome features free, wellness-focused K-12 PE lesson plans (3 weeks of materials for K-2, 3-6, middle school and high school). Dynamic PE ASAP has free lesson plans with both in-home and backyard activities that will get kids active STAT.
- Carone Learning Lesson Plan - For students, Carone Learning offers a Fitness Academy, an accredited online school specializing in health and fitness for students.
- Sanford Fit Lesson Plan - Sanford fit has hundreds of free resources—like brain breaks, lessons, and videos—to help kids make healthy choices inside and outside of the classroom.
- Shape America Lesson Plan - Free PE activity ideas, classroom resources, and physical activity calendars are available for download!
If you found this information interesting or useful, let us know by submitting your feedback! We would love to hear what you have to say about the topics that we share and what you would like to hear more. As we grow, be sure to like and share us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram so that we can expand our reach and move closer to our mission of equipping educators everywhere!